AN INTEGRATED APPROACH TO GROUNDWATER QUALITY ASSESSMENT IN DETERMINING FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE THE GEOCHEMISTRY AND ORIGIN OF SANDSTONE AQUIFER SOUTHERN NIGER DELTA REGION OF NIGERIA
Journal: Malaysian Journal of Geosciences (MJG)
Author: M. O. Eyankware, O. O. Omo-Irabor
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited
Rapid industrialization and oil exploration activities is believed to have influence on groundwater quality globally, and Niger Delta Region of Nigeria is no exception. Hence, this research is conducted to evaluate factors that influence groundwater origin and its geochemistry. For the purpose of this study, 20 groundwater samples were collected (4 from borehole and 16 from hand-dug wells). The parameters used in the assessment include physical parameters; pH, total dissolved solid and electrical conductivity and chemical parameters such as; major cations and anions. From the findings it was observed that pH values fell within the slightly acidic range with the exception of sample location HG/08 with value of 7.01 which can consider to be neutral. The dominant factors that influence groundwater origin and geochemistry within the study area are mainly precipitation and weathering. From Gibb’s plot ninety percent (90 %) of groundwater chemistry is influenced by precipitation. While, Soltan classification showed that 98 % of groundwater belongs to (Na+ – SO42¯), hence it can be classified as deep meteoric (precipitation influence), while the remaining (2%) is of (Na+ – HCO3¯) its classified as shallow meteoric type. Lastly from relationship between Cl¯/HCO3¯ groundwater were slightly moderately affected by saline water intrusion.